What could you build on top of real-time and non-invasive Glucose monitoring? That is what Spiden is all about, and we want to beat Apple on it:
Machine learning, personalized health, and predictive medicine. If these areas resonate with you, join us to work on foundational technologic and scientific challenges at Spiden. We are a Swiss MedTech venture with the vision to use state-of-the-art detection techniques to continuously monitor and learn from a wide range of vital indicators, to better manage chronic diseases, to customize critical treatments and, to improve your health.
Using proprietary optical sensors, Spiden is building a cutting-edge biomedical data generation pipeline to train medical-grade Machine Learning algorithms to infer glucose transcutaneously from spectral measurements. To achieve our vision, our team and advisory board consist of world experts coming from top academic institutions (ETH, EPFL, Columbia, Princeton, or Harvard among others) and industry leaders (Baxter, Roche, Lonza). We are looking for a talented, experienced, voraciously curious, and self-driven professional with great opportunities for growth.
As a Software Engineer intern, you will be exposed to the best DevOps practices needed to develop Data and Machine Learning applications in the cloud, which conceptually involve large-scale data processing and cross-disciplinary exposure, from biomedical data to laser and optics.
In this role, you will be part of the Software and Machine Learning Engineering team (SMLE), working closely with all RnD teams, including Biomedical Science, Biochemistry, Biophotonics, and Electrical Engineering.
- Last year student or recently completed Master's degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or a related technical field.
- Demonstrable experience (during studies or personal projects) in writing software on Python, Java, or similar.
- Exposure to testing and object-oriented programming best practises.
- Familiarity with Containerization concepts, how to package applications and dependencies into containers.
- Familiarity with ETL processes and database concepts.
- Knowledge of software development methodologies (Scrum/Agile), and familiarity with the software development lifecycle.
- Proven capabilities in using Version Control Systems such as Git. Understanding of branching, merging, and pull request worflows.
- High attention to detail and being comfortable in a dynamic and sometimes ambiguous environment.
- Excellent communication skills.
IMPORTANT: we cannot sponsor working permits for non-EU / EFTA nationals for this role. Applications that do not fulfill this criteria will be automatically rejected.
Working at a growing MedTech start-up is demanding and our goals are ambitious, which is why our team puts a strong emphasis on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. Therefore, we offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal life.
Values and Mission are important at Spiden, as the ultimate goal is to improve people's well-being and we aspire to live that. We will have the chance to discuss value and mission during the interview process.
With 18 nationalities in the company, we strive to build a diverse and exciting environment. Within the SMLE team we take special care of gender diversity - currently balanced at 50/50 among the permanent employees- and equal opportunities.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We want you to grow with Spiden.
In this role, you will be part of the Machine Learning Research & Engineering team, currently composed by 13 awesome colleagues from which you will have the opportunity to learn a lot professionally, but also enjoy great conversations and fresh and well informed points of view. Additionally, you will be working closely with all RnD teams, including Biomedical Science, Biochemistry, Biophotonics, and Electrical Engineering.
Don't forget to check the team page on our website!
Our recruitment process
The interview process consists of 3 stages:
- Introduction call (20 min - led by hiring manager - remote with video)
- Technical Interview (60min - led by engineers from the team - remote with video)
- On-site interview (60 - 90 min - meet rest of the team and, if role requires, meet members from other teams - in person in our office and lab in Pfäffikon)
We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet every single qualification.
Not all strong candidates will meet every single requirement as listed. We know that underrepresented groups more often doubt the strength of their candidacy, but we urge you not to exclude yourself prematurely and to still submit an application if you're excited about this work and think your profile is overall a good fit!
We believe that products like the ones we’re building will have an impact on a very broad set of people, and we strive to include a range of diverse perspectives on our team. We would love to hear from you!
Spiden is a Swiss medtech venture with the vision to use state-of-the-art detection techniques to continuously monitor and learn from a wide range of vital medical indicators, allowing to improve your individual health.