What could you build on top of real-time and non-invasive Glucose monitoring? That is what Spiden is all about, and we want to beat Apple on it:
Machine learning, personalized health, and predictive medicine. If these areas resonate with you, join us to work on foundational technologic and scientific challenges at Spiden. We are a Swiss MedTech venture with the vision to use state-of-the-art detection techniques to continuously monitor and learn from a wide range of vital indicators, to better manage chronic diseases, to customize critical treatments and, to improve your health.
Using proprietary optical sensors, Spiden is building a cutting-edge biomedical data generation pipeline to train medical-grade Machine Learning algorithms to infer glucose transcutaneously from spectral measurements. To achieve our vision, our team and advisory board consist of world experts coming from top academic institutions (ETH, EPFL, Columbia, Princeton, or Harvard among others) and industry leaders (Baxter, Roche, Lonza). We are looking for a talented, experienced, voraciously curious, and self-driven professional with great opportunities for growth.
As a Machine Learning Research Scientist, you will research and collaboratively build computational solutions to real world problems in our domain: a continuous non-invasive glucose monitoring smartwatch. Your work involve being able to smartly combine deep multi-disciplinar scientific knowledge (biophotonics, biomedical, microfluidics) with the latest scientific developments in the Machine Learning domain. It also involves an exposure the engineering aspects of large-scale data processing using an advanced ML technology stack.
After 3 years in R&D phase, we are on track to achieve several critical research milestones and start building our product. When we succeed, we plan to raise funding to accelerate development, industrialize our product and expand to critical markets. Therefore, joining as one of the first 60 permanent employees provides you great opportunities for growth in responsibilities and impact.
- Master's degree in Computer Science, a related technical field, or equivalent ML experience.
- 2+ years of Machine Learning Experience: ML algorithms and architectures, training models, hyperparameter tuning, feature engineering, etc using deep learning frameworks such as TensorFlow or PyTorch. Able to whiteboard common components of ML pipelines.
- Experience with scientific analysis packages such as NumPy, Pandas, Scikit-learn
- Experience in development using the Google Cloud Platform or another public cloud platform
- High attention to detail and proven ability to manage multiple, competing priorities, being comfortable in a dynamic and sometimes ambiguous environment.
- PhD degree in Computer Science, or equivalent experience in the Machine Learning
- Demonstrable capacity to digest scientific literature effectively
- Experience with MLOPs: ML data management (collect, store, manage data), creating training datasets (data labeling, data augmentation, feature engineering, data partitioning, sampling and slicing), familiarity with architectural choices for ML systems.
- Working under a matrixed organization involving cross-functional, and/or cross-business projects.
- The following qualifications are a plus:
- Experience in the healthcare or pharma industry
- 2+ years of experience designing and deploying production-grade system architectures for ML
- Experience with Machine Learning at the Edge (optimization, HW accelerators, GPU, distributed computing)
- Experience in Signal Processing
: w e cannot sponsor working permits for non-EU / EFTA nationals
for this role. Applications that do not fulfill this criteria will be automatically rejected.
Working at a growing MedTech start-up is demanding and our goals are ambitious, which is why our team puts a strong emphasis on work-life balance. It isn’t about how many hours you spend at home or at work; it’s about the flow you establish that brings energy to both parts of your life. Therefore, we offer flexibility in working hours and encourage you to find your own balance between your work and personal life.
Values and Mission are important at Spiden, as the ultimate goal is to improve people's well-being and we aspire to live that. We will have the chance to discuss value and mission during the interview process.
With 18 nationalities in the company, we strive to build a diverse and exciting environment. Within the SMLE team we take special care of gender diversity - currently balanced at 50/50 among the permanent employees- and equal opportunities.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our team is dedicated to supporting new members. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. We want you to grow with Spiden.
In this role, you will be part of the Machine Learning Research & Engineering team, currently composed by 13 awesome colleagues from which you will have the opportunity to learn a lot professionally, but also enjoy great conversations and fresh and well informed points of view. Additionally, you will be working closely with all RnD teams, including Biomedical Science, Biochemistry, Biophotonics, and Electrical Engineering.
Don't forget to check the team page on our website!
Our recruitment process
The interview process consists of 3 stages:
- Introduction call (20 min - led by hiring manager - remote with video)
- Technical Interview (60-90min - led by engineers from the team - remote with video)
- On-site interview (90 - 120 min - Culture & Team fit, Lab tour, if role requires meet members from other teams - in person in our office and lab in Pfäffikon)
We encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet every single qualification.
Not all strong candidates will meet every single requirement as listed. We know that underrepresented groups more often doubt the strength of their candidacy, but we urge you not to exclude yourself prematurely and to still submit an application if you're excited about this work and think your profile is overall a good fit!
We believe that products like the ones we’re building will have an impact on a very broad set of people, and we strive to include a range of diverse perspectives on our team. We would love to hear from you!
Spiden is a Swiss medtech venture with the vision to use state-of-the-art detection techniques to continuously monitor and learn from a wide range of vital medical indicators, allowing to improve your individual health.