The Microsoft Mixed Reality & AI (artificial intelligence) lab in Zurich, Switzerland, is a research and development team building the future of mixed reality and AI. The lab is near ETH Zurich, the top technical school in continental Europe, enabling close collaboration in multiple areas. The city of Zurich is a hub for innovation. Known for its exceptional quality of life, Zurich consistently ranks among the top cities in the world.
Our lab is focused on using computer vision, machine learning/AI and cloud computing to map and understand the environment, recognize, and track relevant objects, and assist users in performing their tasks with ease. As a member of our team, you will collaborate with a multi-disciplinary group of experts in software engineering, computer vision, graphics, machine learning, robotics, and human-machine interaction.
We are looking for a Software Engineering Manager for our growing team, with a focus on service availability, system reliability and developer productivity.
- Effectively manages a team of software engineers. Plans and organizes the work. Defines accountabilities, empowers, and mentors team members to support their career development.
- Owns the end-to-end availability, observability, and performance of our cloud services. Prevents problem recurrence and automates the response to non-exceptional conditions.
- Reduces the time to market for new features by refining both process and tooling, striving to reduce technical debt and focusing on developer productivity.
- Defines projects and reports progress at both the strategic roadmap and task levels in collaboration with relevant stakeholders.
- Develops and promotes a culture of technical excellence and inclusivity.
Required Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or related technical field.
- Significant experience in cloud computing technologies, systems, and reliability engineering. Proficiency with C++ or C#.
- Hands-on experience designing, deploying, and operating cloud services at scale.
- Demonstrated leadership experience in managing and organizing the work of an engineering team.
- Experience in managing large technical projects. Excellent planning, organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to work on a multi-disciplinary project in a matrix organization and cross-geo setting.
- Master's degree in computer science, Engineering or related technical field.
- Industry experience.
- People management experience.
- Experience with one or more of the following topics: computer vision, machine learning, or robotics.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.