The Chair of Data Science and Natural Language Processing (Prof. Siegfried Handschuh) invites for applications for a PhD position as part of the recently granted Swiss National Science Foundation (SNF) research project “Conversational AI: Dialogue-based Adaptive Argumentative Writing Support”. You will contribute to its successful implementation, as well as the chair's varied activities in teaching and outreach.
- You work on your doctoral thesis in the area of Conversational AI and Argument Mining.
- You contribute to current research activities of our group in the area of Data Science and NLP.
- You publish in international, peer-reviewed journals and conference proceedings.
- You support the teaching activities of our group, including the supervision of bachelor's and master's theses.
- You support the Chair in industrial research and knowledge transfer
- You collaborate with other researchers on interdisciplinary projects.
- You assist the Chair in organizing workshops, seminars, and conferences.
- You engage in outreach activities to promote the Chair's research and increase its visibility.
- You participate in grant writing and proposal development activities.
- You have a university-level master degree in Computer Science, Computational Linguistics, Data Science or related disciplines.
- You have a strong background in Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing; knowledge of Deep Learning architectures (e.g., Transformer, BERT) and frameworks (e.g., PyTorch, Tensorflow) is a plus.
- You have good programming skills in Python.
- Desirable qualifications include one or more of the following areas: Chatbots, Argument Mining and Text Generation.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- You have a strong analytical, structured and independent working style, as well as first experience in writing scientific papers.
Our research at the Data Science and NLP Chair at the Institute of Computer Science focuses on the cutting-edge field of natural language processing and natural language understanding. Our group delves into various aspects, including conversational AI, large language models, intricate language analysis, knowledge graphs and more.
Utilising sophisticated methods and algorithms, we aim to extract deeper knowledge and understanding from vast amounts of textual and auditory data. Our research also examines the cognitive elements of NLP and its practical applications across a range of industries.
We are looking forward to your online-application.
Inspirational Work Environment
Further information on working at the HSG can be found here.
For job-related questions
Prof. Dr. Siegfried Handschuh
Data Science and Natural Language Processing
Tel.: +41 71 224 34 40
Dr. Christina Marianne Niklaus
Tel.: +41 71 224 79 20
University of St.Gallen
«A place where knowledge is created» - As one of Europe's leading universities of economics and business administration, the University of St.Gallen (HSG), Switzerland, is committed to the education of over 8800 students. The HSG is one of the largest employers in the region and provides an attractive and innovative environment for more than 3300 researchers, educators and professional staff.