The primary function of this position is to:
- focus on the architecture implementation, design, and development of microservices IoT solutions and associated hardware, software, Data Science, services, and backend strategy.
- serve as a technical lead in the research, design & development, and commercialization of innovative products and services
- develop microservices in a agile way for internal and external validation
The Senior SW Engineer essential functions are:
- Develop proof of concepts and scalable solutions for real-world products; innovate, design, test, validate and work with manufacturing teams for timely launch of products/solutions
- Lead the architecture implementation of new software products, including distributed systems, web, mobile, and IoT applications
- Responsible for meeting the schedule, scope, cost and technical targets for efforts under his/her control
- Comply with Scrum the process (agile practices, focus on deliverables, leadership reviews) to secure and maintain business engagement through the life of the Project.
- Assist in the identification of external partnerships, outside technologies and best practices to bring to Eaton, particularly around Internet of Things concept
- Define technical requirements and specifications for energy management system IoT platforms (communication devices, embedded software, edge computing, cloud computing)
- Contribute to development of Big Data architecture to support IoT platform needs including data acquisition, data storage, analytics, visualization, and reporting
- Develop effective training tools and materials for sales and support personnel, specifying engineers, installers, customers, and end users relating to product platforms and software/services applications and participate in formal/informal training sessions
- Act in line with Eaton’s Code of Ethics, Aspirational Goals and Policies, in order to ensure the safety, health and wellness of employees and be active stewards of the environment
- Expertise with industrial communication protocols such as: Modbus TCP/IP, REST, Bluetooth Low Energy and WiFi
- Expertise of networking protocols and concepts (e.g. WebSockets, HTTP, TCP, MQTT, AMQP)
- Expertise in driving autonomously project development
- Hands on experience with Scaled SaaS solutions, Event-driven Architecture, Microservices, REST, API development, message brokers, reactive streams
- Knowledge of cloud development platforms such as Azure (or AWS, BlueMix)
- Knowledge of Enterprise software development along with Electronics Design and Embedded Firmware Development
- Knowledge of security concepts such as cybersecurity, encryption, certificates, and key management
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline from an accredited institution
- 5+ years of experience in software development
- Demonstrated experience in leading new technology efforts from inception to transition to a customer organization, driving program deliverables, identifying and resolving technical and program decision/issues
- 5+ years of experience in software and connected products or IoT space
- Excellent understanding of project/program management principles, including hands on experience with Agile and iterative development methodologies
- Experience with industrial communications and/or Ethernet based communications (e.g., Modbus RTU/TCP, EtherNet/IP, CANopen, IEC61850, HTTP, OPC-UA)
- Knowledge of Microservices technology (Such as Docker, Kubernetes) and Event-driven Architectures and tools (Such as Redis Streams)
- Knowledge with Data Visualization tools
- Experience in working globally across multiple engineering locations.
- Knowledge in Energy topics (Distributed energy resources) and related communication standards such as SunSpec and OCPP.
What you will get from us
Eaton’s mission is to improve the quality of life and the environment through the use of power management technologies and services. We provide sustainable solutions that help our customers effectively manage electrical, hydraulic and mechanical power – more safely, more efficiently and more reliably. Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours. Eaton’s 2020 revenues were $17.9 billion, and we sell products to customers in more than 175 countries. We have approximately 85,000 employees.
We make work exciting, engaging and meaningful for our employees through our dedication to tackling some of the toughest power management challenges on the planet and by never losing sight of what matters. Our culture is built on a strong commitment to practicing our core values and supporting our employees with the tools they need to succeed. We pledge to always foster a diverse and inclusive environment, including inclusion resource groups that bring together employees who share a common purpose, interest or background. In the past year, our company has received top employment recognition by the Human Rights Campaign and almost fifty percent of our Board of Directors represented diverse groups. When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
We have demonstrated our passion for sustainability with the recent announcement of cutting carbon emissions from the company’s operations by at least 50 percent by 2030. We are ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and committed to learning. We are confident we can deliver on our promise to improve the quality of life and the environment because of the attributes that our employees embody.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
Region: Europe, Middle East, Africa
Organization: ES EMEA ETD ESM EVCI Storage Microgrid
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time