EPFL, the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne, is one of the most dynamic university campuses in Europe and ranks among the top 20 universities worldwide. The EPFL employs more than 6,000 people supporting the three main missions of the institutions: education, research and innovation. The EPFL campus offers an exceptional working environment at the heart of a community of more than 16,000 people, including over 12,000 students and 4,000 researchers from more than 120 different countries.
Scientific/Technical collaborator in Biology/Bioengineering (W/M)
Your mission :
The School of Life Sciences of EPFL Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne invites applications for a position of a Scientific/Technical collaborator at the Bioengineering and Technology platform (BET, https://go.epfl.ch/BET).
We are looking for an experienced specialist in cell biology/bioengineering who will assist the platform director and the user of the BET platform in establishing processes, protocols and services in the area of ex vivo/in vitro cellular models for cancer research. You will also contribute to developing the related infrastructure and to building unique expertise for the BET platform and its community.
Your mission will consist in performing diverse tasks related to the culture, characterization, imaging and biobanking of primary cells and cell lines, including advanced cellular models, such as 3D cell culture, organoids and microphysiological systems. You will also contribute to the development of internal expertise for the BET team; to the execution of collaborative research projects with various researcher at EPFL, the AGORA Cancer Center and beyond; and to the training users of the platform on established processes and equipments.
Main duties and responsibilities include :
- Participate in the establishment and subsequent regular operation of the cell culture laboratory of the BET platform, including management, maintenance and calibration of the instrument park, ordering and monitoring consumable stocks, reagent and inventory, etc., in collaboration with your colleagues.
- Establish, master and validate exisiting processes with the help of your manager and collaborators, including cell culture, imaging and other characterization pipelines, for internal use and for the establishment of external services.
- Gain expert knowledge on the use of high-end pieces of equipment (e.g. robotized high-content microscope, automated liquid handling systems, specialized/custom microfluidic systems) operated by the platform.
- Provide hands-on training and support to the users of the BET lab for their subsequent independent use of selected instruments and processes.
- Log standardized protocols and results rigorously using our electronic LIMS system.
- Carry out the technical R&D work necessary for the development of novel assays and technologies, in compliance with good laboratory practices and internal procedures.
- Collaborate on research project design and execution, help with writing research proposals, and integrate the team's vision.
- Assume shared responsibility for organizing and implementing routine lab cleaning schedules and procedures
- Participate to the platform development in general, including infrastructure development, communication efforts, IT best-practice effort, team building, etc.
Your profile :
- You have acquired training and practical skills in Cellular and Molecular Biology, Bioengineering or equivalent discipline.
- You have a solid training in cell culture, maintenance and characterization.
- You know how to perform live-cell microscopy and you understand how to approach high-throughput screening and sample preparation.
- You can apply several of these analyses techniques: primary cell isolation, cloning, gene and protein analysis, immunofluorescence, plasmid transfection, viral transduction.
- You know how to work under biosafety level 2 conditions.
- You are quick to understand the aims and technicalities of a project and to identify potential pitfalls.
- You are methodological in your work and have a good sense of organisation.
- You demonstrate an ability to learn and perform diverse tasks independently, and are able to seek help when needed.
- You have an interest in expanding your knowledge and expertise, as well as in potentially developing new cutting-edge methods and technologies.
- You are trustworthy, committed and diligent.
- You are creative and you are able to communicate your ideas.
- You demonstrate a good team spirit and you like to collaborate in an interdisciplinary environment.
- You can handle multiple projects in parallel and adjust to changing priorities with the help of your supervisor.
- Good command of English required, good knowledge of French appreciated.
- Good mastery of standard IT tools and of some knowledge of specialized scientific software (image analysis, statistical analysis, high-dimensional data analysis).
We offer :
- We offer a dynamic, multi-institution and international working environment in an interdisciplinary platform located in the new AGORA Cancer Research Center next to the CHUV hospital and the center of the city of Lausanne.
- EPFL offers opportunities for professional training, a lot of activities and other benefits to discover.
- EPFL is an equal-opportunity employer with family-friendly work policies. It is committed to increasing the diversity of its employees. It strongly encourages women to apply.
Start date :
As soon as possible.
Term of employment :
Work rate :
Time-limited working contract (1 year), renewable.
Full time (preferred)
Only candidates who applied through EPFL website or our partner Jobup’s website will be considered. Files sent by agencies without a mandate will not be taken into account