EPFL, the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne, is one of the most dynamic university campuses in Europe and ranks among the top 20 universities worldwide. The EPFL employs more than 6,000 people supporting the three main missions of the institutions: education, research and innovation. The EPFL campus offers an exceptional working environment at the heart of a community of more than 16,000 people, including over 12,000 students and 4,000 researchers from more than 120 different countries.
Flow Cytometry and Cell-Sorting Technical Specialist
Your mission :
The School of Life Sciences of the Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) invites applications for a position of a technical specialist at the Flow Cytometry Core Facility (FCCF, https://www.epfl.ch/research/facilities/cytometry/). The FCCF platform benefit from core funding to provide the local and external scientific community with a comprehensive support to realize their ambitious research goals and to push the boundaries of knowledge in neurosciences, immunology, cancer, infectious diseases and bioengineering. The facility currently runs four high-speed cell sorters (MoFlo Astrios, Fuision, Aria 2u, SH800), eight analysers (Aurora, Galios, LSR Fortessa, Cytoflex) and CyTOF Helios.
Main duties and responsibilities include :
The successful candidate will be a key member of the FCCF team where she/he will:
- Operate the cell sorters for cell sorting and analysis using a broad range of flow cytometric techniques.
- Help with troubleshooting of technical errors and system failures on the instruments, as well as carrying out minor technical repairs.
- Assist in training researchers in flow cytometry techniques and relevant data analysis.
- Communicate specialized/technical information, policies and procedures to facility users.
- Participate in development and in optimization of new protocols and techniques in flow cytometry, in order to increase the quality of offered services.
- Participate in maintenance and quality control of the platform’s instruments.
Your profile :
- A technical or scientific degree in a relevant field.
- Several years of hands-on experience and expertise in flow cytometry and cell sorting using state-of-the-art equipment.
- Expertise in high dimensional experimental design and data analysis.
- Effective communication skills, capacity to explain detailed technical information to non-expert users.
- Proven experience in supervising novices and experts in cytometry.
- Effective organizational skills and ability to prioritize tasks.
- Solid interpersonal skills and a pronounced taste for working as a team player in a service-oriented context.
- Effective written and oral communication skills in English, knowledge of French would be a plus.
We offer :
- A dynamic and international work environment in a multidisciplinary School.
- Internationally competitive salary and benefits.
- EPFL is an equal-opportunity employer with family-friendly work policies. It is committed to increasing the diversity of its employees. It strongly encourages women to apply.
Start date :
October 1st, 2021 or as agreed.
- Please include cover letter, curriculum vitae and names and addresses (including e-mail) of two references.
- Review of applications will start September 1st 2021 and will continue until the position has been filled.
Term of employment :
Work rate :
Fixed-term contract (CDD) for one year, renewable
Miguel Garcia, Head of Flow Cytometry Core Facility
Only candidates who applied through EPFL website or our partner Jobup’s website will be considered. Files sent by agencies without a mandate will not be taken into account