EPFL, the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne, is one of the most dynamic university campuses in Europe and ranks among the top 20 universities worldwide. The EPFL employs more than 6,000 people supporting the three main missions of the institutions: education, research and innovation. The EPFL campus offers an exceptional working environment at the heart of a community of more than 16,000 people, including over 12,000 students and 4,000 researchers from more than 120 different countries.
Software engineer – Frontend Web Developer (W/M)
Your mission :
- Build user-friendly websites to facilitate the dissemination of scientific data to the worldwide neuroscience community.
- Contribute to scope definition/refinement and website design in alignment with existing graphical guidelines.
- Features of these websites may include:
- Intuitive navigation through a complex scientific domain.
- Searching for scientific data (full-text and faceted search leveraging document stores such as ElasticSearch).
- Presentation of search results, both in the form of summary tables as well as detailed pages.
- Create meaningful scientific visualisation components.
- Enabling a user to download scientific data.
- All aspects of modern software development life-cycle: testing, continuous integration, DevOps, documentation and direct user support.
- Implement best-practices for maintainable software development.
Your profile :
Experience and preferred skills:
- Experience using the input of a graphical designer to build a website.
- Knowledge of static site generators.
- Experience with version control and workflows with git.
- Solid HTML and CSS knowledge.
- Experience working with REST APIs.
- Agile software development, unit and integration testing.
Experience in any of the following areas would be a plus:
- Experience in developing data visualization applications (d3.js, three.js, WebGL).
- Experience in making compelling user experience and UI design.
- Document stores (ElasticSearch).
- Knowledge of other programming languages, notably Python
- Semantic web technologies (RDF/OWL, SPARQL, RDF Triple Stores).
- Master degree in computer science or equivalent professional experience,
- At least 3 years experience of frontend software development,
- Excellent command of the English language, both written and spoken. French would be a plus.
We offer :
- Opportunity to work on open-source software with a growing community of users,
- An internationally visible and rising project in simulation-based research in neuroscience using supercomputers,
- A dynamic, multidisciplinary, international and collaborative working environment committed to benefitting the global community
- A modern working environment, based at the Biotech Campus in Geneva Sécheron.
Start date :
as soon as possible
Term of employment :
1 year, renewable
Only candidates who applied through EPFL website or our partner Jobup’s website will be considered. Files sent by agencies without a mandate will not be taken into account