The Ecole polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) is one of the most dynamic university campuses in Europe and ranks among the top 20 universities worldwide. The EPFL employs 6,000 people supporting the three main missions of the institutions: education, research and innovation. The EPFL campus offers an exceptional working environment at the heart of a community of 16,000 people, including over 10,000 students and 3,500 researchers from 120 different countries.
Knowledge Graph Engineer (W/M)
Your mission :
The aim of the EPFL Blue Brain Project, a Swiss brain research initiative founded and directed by Professor Henry Markram, is to establish simulation neuroscience as a complementary approach alongside experimental, theoretical and clinical neuroscience to understanding the brain, by building the world’s first biologically detailed digital reconstructions and simulations of the mouse brain.
To accelerate its scientific roadmap, BBP is building Blue Brain Nexus (https://bluebrainnexus.io), a knowledge graph system used by the BBP’s Data and Knowledge Engineering team to perform large-scale semantic and spatial (e.g. within Brain Atlases) data integration, search and analysis. To strengthen its Data and Knowledge Engineering team, BBP is looking for a:
Knowledge Graph Engineer (W/M).Main duties and responsibilities include :
- In relation with data providers and consumers, develop data and knowledge structures for improving data integration and accessibility as well as enabling automated reasoning and inference within the knowledge graph
- Develop pipeline to semantically represent in the knowledge graph data from different sources and of various formats.
- As a team player, participate in the design and implementation of features in the Blue Brain Nexus technology stack
- Implement best-practices for maintainable software development, including but not limited to: continuous integration, build, release, deployment process, managing services in various environments, documentation, adherence to and improvement of coding standards.
Your profile :
Experience and preferred skills:
- Strong experience in Semantic web technologies and formats (at least: RDF, OWL, SPARQL)
- Experience in building Linked Data platforms and knowledge graphs,
- Experience with at least one framework for building semantic web applications: RDFLib, JenaI,...
- Experience with Triple Stores (Blazegraph, Virtuoso,...) and/or Property Graphs (Neo4J,...)
- Experience with at least one of the following programming languages: Python, Java, Scala,
- Experience with Agile software development, unit and integration testing.
Experience in any of the following areas would be a plus:
- Lucene based search engines (ElasticSearch, Solr),
- Experience with workflow management systems,
- Container orchestration technologies (kubernetes, ...),
- Distributed systems,
- Scalable data analytics technologies (Spark).
- Master degree in software engineering or equivalent,
- At least 3 years experience of software development and/or data engineering,
- English written and spoken. French would be a plus.
We offer :
- A world-recognized leader in simulation-based research in neuroscience using supercomputers
- A dynamic, multidisciplinary, international and collaborative working environment committed to benefitting the global community
- A modern working environment, based at the Biotech Campus in Geneva Sécheron
Start date :
As soon as possible
Term of employment :
1 year, renewable
Only candidates who applied through EPFL website or our partner Jobup’s website will be considered. Files sent by agencies without a mandate will not be taken into account