EPFL, the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne, is one of the most dynamic university campuses in Europe and ranks among the top 20 universities worldwide. The EPFL employs more than 6,000 people supporting the three main missions of the institutions: education, research and innovation. The EPFL campus offers an exceptional working environment at the heart of a community of more than 16,000 people, including over 12,000 students and 4,000 researchers from more than 120 different countries.
Security/Privacy Software Engineer (100%)
Your mission :
You will create the right foundations for EPFL students to learn and grow. Your software will be used to further research on decentralized systems and can impact industry and society through our partnership with the Center for Digital Trust (C4DT).
This position is linked to a specific funding / project.
Main duties and responsibilities include :
The software engineer will join the existing DEDIS software development team and collaborate with PhD students and other researchers in the DEDIS lab to design, implement, document, and deploy highly usable, open-source, security and privacy enhancing tools and infrastructure components. The engineers will work on subjects such as:
- Next generation blockchain and distributed ledger and smart contract technologies with applications to cryptocurrencies, collaboration, and digital democracy.
- New privacy preserving approaches to identity management, decentralized organization membership and management, and Sybil attack protection.
- Abuse resistant anonymous communication protocols and messaging applications.
- Systematic defenses against side channel and traffic analysis attacks.
Furthermore, DEDIS engineers also:
- Supervise ambitious student projects, involving up to 10 students at a time
- Contribute to preparing class assignments (software projects)
- Operate the DEDIS IT infrastructure (on premise and in the cloud)
- Enjoy having a drink together and lab outings !
Your profile :
- Familiarity with one or more systems programming languages, e.g. C, C++, Go, and/or Rust
- A solid understanding of software architecture and design patterns
- Bachelor in Computer Science (or equivalent working experience)
- Willingness to learn new things on a daily basis and deal with uncertainty.
- A can-do, problem-solver attitude
- A propensity for structure and organization
- Fluency in English, both oral and written
- A few years of experience working on production-quality code
- Experience contributing to open-source projects and working with Git workflows
- A good grasp of software testing (unit, integration, BDD, property-based, UAT, etc.)
- Interest for, or ideally familiarity with, some of the following:
- Scientific research (design of experiments, data analysis, ...)
- Network protocols and programming (Ethernet, IP, TCP, UDP, SSL/TLS).
- Mobile programming in Android and/or iOS.
- Distributed systems programming and algorithms (replication/consistency, Paxos/BFT, DHTs, peer to peer protocols, blockchains and cryptocurrencies, etc.).
- Applied cryptography (ciphers, elliptic curves, lattice crypto, zero knowledge proofs).
- DevOps, Linux infrastructure management (Ansible, Terraform, KVM/LibVirt, AWS)
- Agile development methodologies
- Eligibility to work in Switzerland
We offer :
As one of the internationally highest-ranked technology institutes, EPFL offers a thriving intellectual environment, outstanding facilities, and an active community. It is located in Lausanne, a beautiful and culturally diverse city on the shores of Lake Geneva, close to the Swiss and French Alps. In addition, the DEDIS lab is working on innovative research and projects.
Start date :
As soon as possible
Term of employment :
CDD of 1 year, which can be renewed
Only candidates who applied through EPFL website or our partner Jobup’s website will be considered. Files sent by agencies without a mandate will not be taken into account