At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Join CERN to work on software developments and data processing techniques for the alignment of particle accelerators and their experimental detectors! CERN. Take part!The Geodetic Metrology group within the Beams Department provides metrology and alignment for components installed in the accelerators and experiments throughout the CERN complex, and handles all related geodetic aspects.The successful Engineer will join the software and algorithmic development section within this group, contributing to the wide range of computing tools used for metrology and accurate alignment. These specialist applications allow the surveying teams to acquire, process and store measurements in the field. In addition the team provides dedicated expert interfaces or common CERN web pages that allow on-line retrieval of precise 3D positions from the permanent monitoring and alignment systems installed in specific parts of the accelerators and experiments.
- Actively contribute to build, integrate and support the wide range of computing tools used for metrology and alignment at CERN.
- Work in a small dynamic team, with a direct and daily contact with the users of these tools.
- Fix reported issues, collect user needs and produce functional specifications for new applications or to improve existing solutions. A major part of the activity will revolve around the theoretical aspects related to the statistical data processing of survey data.
- Contribute to develop mathematical concepts and propose new algorithms responding to future project needs
- Collaborate with other research teams, inside and outside CERN, to benefit from the latest developments in this field.
- Be part of survey teams in the field during shutdown periods to keep knowledge of the specific measurement techniques.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Geomatics, Topography, Geodesy or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience of making high precision measurement and their analysis.
- Previous experience developing software in C++ or other Object Oriented languages.
- Proven experience with least squares adjustment algorithms and statistical analysis techniques to process surveying measurements
- Experience of mentoring more junior engineers.
- Experience in a scientific environment would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of programming techniques and languages: in particular, object-oriented languages and numeric platforms like C++, Python, Matlab / R.
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of high-precision survey methods and tools.
- Production of mathematical models and algorithms.
- Data treatment of geodetic measurements, transformations between coordinate reference systems.
- Project management: organization and coordination with multidisciplinary stakeholders of small/medium IT-projects, practical knowledge of AGILE methodologies and organization.
- Communicating effectively: Providing others with timely information. Ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented. Demonstrating a pro-active approach to resolving differences; addressing issues of conflict constructively.
- Achieving results: Having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind. Driving work / projects along and seeing them through to their conclusion. Objectively assessing and monitoring own work; regularly reporting on progress and advising of any changes in schedule or priorities.
- Building relationships: showing courtesy and consideration in dealings with others. Understanding how individual differences bring added value to the Organization; promoting complementarities. Accepting others in a non-judgemental way and taking their point of view into account.
- Demonstrating accountability: working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises. Taking responsibility for own actions and decisions. Using openness and honesty to interact constructively with others.
Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw up technical texts in one of the two languages, as well as ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 12 midday on 22nd July 2021.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: BE-GM-APC-2021-53-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Engineer