Syngenta is a leading agriculture company helping to improve global food security by enabling millions of farmers to make better use of available resources. Through world class science and innovative crop solutions, our 28,000 people in over 90 countries are working to transform how crops are grown. We are committed to rescuing land from degradation, enhancing biodiversity and revitalizing rural communities.
We are currently seeking a 2-year fixed term Postdoctoral Fellowship contract in our R&D Technology and Digital Integration department. You will have the opportunity to develop and apply multiscale crop models and data analytics approaches to enable cropping systems management and agro-ecosystems optimization and to support the design of novel technologies. You will work in close partnerships with experimentalists, experts in crop modelling and data analysts across the Syngenta group to deliver new technological innovations enabled by gene-to-farm design of resilient and sustainable crop production systems.
- Develop and apply new approaches for agroecosystems modelling, with particular focus on analysis and prediction of agroecosystem (and ecosystem services) responses to changes in agricultural management, land use and climate change.
- Contribute to scale-up existing in-house crop models by delivering new algorithms for crop modules with special focus on analysis and prediction of crop performance according to abiotic/biotic stresses, cultivar/genotypes, and crop management practices choices (inputs reduction).
- Analyze model outputs with meta-analysis approaches (e.g., sensitivity analysis, error mapping, and parameter identification) and deliver results and outcomes based on crop model performances.
- Provide scientific leadership on developing and applying crop modelling to enable decision support for Syngenta R&D.
- Consult with diverse stakeholders on experimental design, model development and utilization.
- Promote the use and application of crop modelling and data analysis for biological problems through solid cross-functional connections.
What we are looking for:
- PhD degree in crop modelling or a related field, preferably with a focus on ecological problems.
- High level expertise in agronomy, crop physiology, soil science, soil processes/ecosystems modelling, data management and analysis, and data visualization.
- Experience in developing and applying crop models for crop management, precision agriculture, and/or breeding programs.
- Experience in data visualization, data management, data mining, and statistics required.
- Proven organizational skills and ability to interact in multi-disciplinary teams.
What we offer:
- We offer a position which contributes to valuable and impactful work in a stimulating and international environment #bringingplantpotentialtolife
- A superb working environment at our Global Research Center in Stein with well-equipped laboratories
- The opportunity to work with and learn from highly qualified and experienced employees and gain scientific and technical excellence
- You will profit from a competitive pension fund plan and other benefits
Interested? We are looking for your application! Please provide a Research Summary of 2-5 pages. Any applications submitted without a Research Summary will not be subject to further evaluation
Syngenta is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status