Syngenta Group is one of the world’s leading agriculture innovation companies, with roots going back more than 250 years. Its 48,000 people across more than 100 countries strive to transform agriculture through breakthrough products and technologies that play a vital role in enabling the food chain to feed the world safely, sustainably and with respect for our planet. Swiss headquartered and Chinese-owned, the Group draws strength from its four business units – Syngenta Crop Protection headquartered in Switzerland, Syngenta Seeds headquartered in the United States, ADAMA headquartered in Israel, and Syngenta Group China – that provide industry-leading ways to serve customers everywhere.
The Global D&A team empowers Syngenta Group employees to make better and faster Data-Insights driven decisions to facilitate the transformation of our agriculture solutions, making us the world's most Data Literate agricultural company. The Data Architecture team is part of the Global D&A team and is responsible to leverage and expand an Enterprise Data Lake (on AWS) to fulfil its mission of source- and technology agnostic data integration across the entire process and product lifecycle scope of Syngenta group domains (Supply Chain, Commercial, HR, R&D, etc.) to support all our reporting, dashboarding and analytical needs.
The purpose of the Enterprise Data Architect Chapter Lead role is to define and be responsible for tactical operationalization of the data architecture for the integrated enterprise data platform to fulfil its mission of source- and technology agnostic data integration across the entire process and product lifecycle scope of Syngenta group, drive the documentation and ownership of data business definitions and data traceability from source to consumption /lineage in our Data Catalog, including defining data security rules and lift data literacy to the next level for thousands of Syngenta’s employees across the organization.
Accountabilities of the role :
- Develop and implement methodologies for pragmatic, robust enterprise data model and data integration
- Define the data architecture for SmartMart to fulfil its mission of source- and technology agnostic data integration across the entire process and product lifecycle scope of Syngenta group.
- Drive SmartMart adoption via appealing documentation and use cases with business and IT community so the data richness of SmartMart is understandable and accessible for data engineers, data scientists, visualization engineers and data analysts. In years ahead Data Explorers /an average Syngenta employee should get primary attention to drive self-service.
- People: Direct reports up to 5 and larger size of external staff. This includes: Chapter lead for Domain Data Architects, Data Information team for data accessibility and Data literacy project lead.
- Knowledge Sharing /Managerial decision steering role across Domain Data Architects. Pro-actively shares best practice, ideas, and insights across the team - utilizing the Chapter structure - to constructively inspire and safeguard architecture principles, guidelines and policies towards a true DevOps model, enabling continuous deployment and -integration.
- Performs and drive corrective actions for data quality assurance and quality reviews on compliance to architecture direction and -standards.
- Steer data architecture decisions outside D&A from small projects to big initiatives through application of architecture principles, guidelines and policies and derivation of concrete recommendations thereof.
- Strategy & Planning: creates a comprehensive roadmap, service offer and associated detailing to develop the Global Data Model in SmartMart to support current and future business needs.
- Create awareness on business opportunities with data, open the mind of business leaders across the company.
- Train data consumers, business analysts and data engineers in best practice for integrated data analytics which includes conducting user awareness trainings and data architecture principal trainings. Facilitating the usage of SmartMart for advance analytics / data science.
- Work with D&A Domain Delivery Leads to select the right skilled resources. Aiding the data model deliveries for delivery teams for implementation of the data architecture and foster a community of data architects. Design trainings spreading the data architecture principals across the various business delivery teams.
Ideal experience and skillset required for the role :
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in informatics, computer science, or related D&A fields with solid relevant experience in data and analytics and various functional areas
- Experience in Cloud based ELT, Big Data tools, infrastructure, analytics and visualization
- Experience running Scrum/Agile development practice (ideally as product owner or scrum master)
- Proven track record in successful data modelling in large international enterprises
- D&A management experience, including absolute command on a wide variety of data modeling and data architecture principles
- Understand end to end data management interactions and dependencies across complex data pipelines and models and how they impact D&A products
- Expertise and substantial understanding of the data related solution such as SAP ECC (Supply Chain, Commercial, Finance , HR, etc), Salesforce/ CRM, Planning Data (SAP IBP) etc
- Ability to engage with business to understand the data needs and translate them to scalable data architectures
- Experience in building and leading teams in an agile matrix organization
- Demonstrated career experience in multiple domains (e.g. IT, Commercial, Supply Chain, Finance, Consulting)
- Being able to (chapter) lead a team of Domain Data Architects, supporting the delivery teams and create team spirit with a ‘can-do’ mentality.
- Successfully influence business and IT leaders away from siloed towards integrated solutions.
- Being able to design a vision and roadmap for an enterprise wide Data platform
- Ability to analyze and simplify complex problems, articulate trade-offs for informed decision making.
- Ability to prioritize a rapid growing D&A demand and deliver E2E Data & Analytics solutions that will make Syngenta a truly data-insight driven organization.
We offer a variety of financial and non-financial benefits including:
- Learning culture (Together we Grow) and wide range of training options
- Flexible working arrangements
- Annual bonuses and a competitive Pension Fund scheme
- On campus health and fitness services
- Family-friendly initiatives
- We offer a position which contributes to valuable and impactful work in a stimulating and international environment
Syngenta is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.