EPFL, the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne, is one of the most dynamic university campuses in Europe and ranks among the top 20 universities worldwide. The EPFL employs more than 6,000 people supporting the three main missions of the institutions: education, research and innovation. The EPFL campus offers an exceptional working environment at the heart of a community of more than 16,000 people, including over 12,000 students and 4,000 researchers from more than 120 different countries.
Learning Scientist for evidence-based innovation in education (60-100%)
Your mission :
EPFL’s strategy for education puts an emphasis on evidence-based learning innovation. The range of innovative learning experiences being developed at EPFL is in constant evolution: MOOCs, interactive notebooks, interdisciplinary projects, open makerspace, remote experiments, automatic graders and many more.
The Center for Learning Sciences implements translational research in the context of projects on innovative learning and teaching. We contribute to innovation in education with an evidence-based approach. Projects of innovative teaching at EPFL are thus to be accompanied by data collection, exploitation of literature, evaluation and testing.
We are looking for a versatile learning or education scientist to accompany EPFL teachers and their teams in their projects of teaching and learning innovation. The researcher in this position develops, applies and adapts the evidence-based approach. The person will be working in the Center LEARN in a small team responsible for the internal mission inside EPFL and thereby benefit from the expertise of LEARN affiliated labs and service units.Main duties and responsibilities include :
- Study the impact of pedagogical innovations on multiple levels (e.g. learning processes, teacher, class management, engagement, systemic challenges …) and depending on the phase of innovation (explorative research, design-based research, implementation research, evaluation)
- Plan and conduct empirical studies / evaluations in collaboration with teachers and colleagues, collect and analyze data
- Gather and share best practice within the community of innovators in education
- Disseminate results to different audiences:
- Document the pedagogical innovation projects and their evaluation in scientific publications;
- Document results, evaluation method, best practice and recommendations for decision makers and teachers
- Support teachers in adopting evidence-based approaches for their implementation of pedagogical innovation
- Collaborate with pedagogical advisors, digital learning support staff and any person responsible for education at EPFL in order to assure the relevance, coherence and usefulness of evaluation methods; collaborate with researchers from the labs associated to LEARN where relevant
- Contribute to the activities of the Center LEARN (outreach, organisation, operations)
Your profile :
- PhD in learning science or education, or other domains if topic strongly related to learning/education
- Experience with teaching and learning in science and engineering
- Strong and broad competence of empirical research methods (study designs, data collection and related instruments, data analysis)
- Experience with empirical evaluation of educational innovations in the field
- Experience with pedagogical advice, consulting or collaboration with teachers
- Experience with technology-enhanced learning and project-based learning is a plus
- Very good mastery of English, good mastery of French, German is a plus
We offer :
- Excellent working conditions in a top university
- Inclusion in a network of internal stakeholders relevant to innovation in education
- Participation in projects aligned with the strategic orientation of the school
Start date :
01.06.2021 or later
Term of employment :
Work rate :
1 year (renewable)
Only candidates who applied through EPFL website or our partner Jobup’s website will be considered. Files sent by agencies without a mandate will not be taken into account.