The Ecole polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) is one of the most dynamic university campuses in Europe and ranks among the top 20 universities worldwide. The EPFL employs 6,000 people supporting the three main missions of the institutions: education, research and innovation. The EPFL campus offers an exceptional working environment at the heart of a community of 16,000 people, including over 10,000 students and 3,500 researchers from 120 different countries.
Data scientist & software engineer
Your mission :
The Laboratory of Microsystems LMIS2, led by Prof. Martin Gijs, in the framework of an Innosuisse-funded project in collaboration with the startup company Nagi Bioscience, is looking for an outstanding candidate for a post-doctoral position in the field of data science, machine learning and software engineering. LMIS2 and Nagi Bioscience SA currently collaborate at the creation of a highly innovative laboratory device for drug discovery research. This technology employs robotics and computer vision for the automated culture and analysis of micro-organisms (the microscopic worm C. elegans) within microfluidic chips, as new tool to replace traditional animal testing for the study of human diseases (e.g. neurodegenerative disorders) and their potential cures. Your mission, as data scientist and software engineer of the team, will be to develop new software (backend and frontend) for the automated extraction, analysis and interpretation of data from the microscopy images/videos generated by the robotic platform.
Main duties and responsibilities include :
- Use state-of-the-art machine-learning to optimize and improve the current image processing software and to develop new analytical features for it (e.g. tracking and analysis of micro-organism motion in videos, quantification of fluorescent patterns, etc.).
- Create and maintain a centralized database for the storage, tracking and analysis of all the experimental results produced by the robotic platform(s) (current framework: PostgreSQL).
- Collaborate to the development of a web application communicating with the database and allowing user friendly statistical analyses, visualization and interpretation of the biological data.
- Develop Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) enabling the integration of the different software components (i.e. database, image processing modules, web app) into a comprehensive piece of software.
- Deploy the final software on one of the major cloud platforms (i.e. Azure, AWS, IBM or Google cloud).
Your profile :
Essential skills and experience required:
- Professional expertise (PhD level or equivalent) in state-of-the-art machine learning for big data analyses and image processing (Python and R programming; TensorFlow/PyTorch libraries; neural networks, e.g. Mask-R-CNN, etc.).
- Expertise in developing web applications/front-end (REST, html, css) and database management systems (PostgreSQL, mySQL).
- Good knowledge of container-based virtualization technologies (Docker, Singularity, Kubernetes) and software deployment on cloud-based systems.
- Professional use of tools for code management, testing and validation, continuous integration and documentation (GitHub, GitLab etc);
- Good experience in teamwork, supervision of students and management of multitasking projects.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English.
Preferred additional skills:
- Previous experiences in industry and knowledge of company quality standards.
- Experience in biological data analysis, microscopy techniques and optics/imaging.
- Good knowledge of IP protection strategies.
- Passion for startup creation and business development.
We offer :
- A prestigious project of global prominence in the data science, micro-engineering and life science research fields.
- A dynamic, interdisciplinary, and international team of very motivated people.
- A modern working environment based at the EPFL Campus in Lausanne, Switzerland.
- The possibility of a future career in a startup company with high potential and a clear vision.
Start date :
Start date: February-March 2021
Deadline for application: March 31st 2021
Term of employment :
1 year fixed term contract, renewable
Only candidates who applied through EPFL website or our partner Jobup’s website will be considered