The Ecole polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL) is one of the most dynamic university campuses in Europe and ranks among the top 20 universities worldwide. The EPFL employs 6,000 people supporting the three main missions of the institutions: education, research and innovation. The EPFL campus offers an exceptional working environment at the heart of a community of 16,000 people, including over 10,000 students and 3,500 researchers from 120 different countries.
The Laboratory for Experimental Museology (eM+) is a leading transdisciplinary initiative at the intersection of immersive visualization technologies, visual analytics, aesthetics and cultural (big) data. eM+ engages in research from scientific, artistic and humanistic perspectives and promotes post-cinematic multisensory engagement using experimental platforms (known as location-based entertainment). eM+ has 11 unique large-scale visualization systems combined with powerful sonic architectures that are benchmarks in the realms of virtual, augmented, mixed realities. These cluster-based 3D systems are deployed in major exhibitions and interactive installations at prestigious organizations throughout the world.
eM+ builds on 20 years of research and development at the pioneering laboratories of iCinema Research Centre for Cinematic Research (iCinema), Sydney; The Applied Laboratory for Interactive Visualisation and Embodiment (ALiVE), Hong Kong and; the Expanded Perception and Interaction (EPICentre), Sydney.
Visualization and interaction software technician W/M (virtual, augmented, mixed reality)
Your mission :
Your mission is pioneer software/hardware frameworks for the future of visualization and large-scale immersive experiences for public. You will work together with a small team of engineers in the realization of large scale works for the cultural sector worldwide. You plan, design and execute key projects end to end, from conceptualization to code to installation.
Main duties and responsibilities include :
- Manage and create key software projects end to end
- Liaise with key stakeholder in the realization of key projects
- Overall Documentation, System administration, Data management
- Responsible for installation health as part of a dynamic VIP visit program
- Contribute to the design of novel interfaces
- Mentor younger engineers when appropriate
Your profile :
- You will be passionate about the future of entertainment, cinema and experiences of culture and encompass the following skills
- Masters or Doctoral qualifications or equivalent industry experience in computer science, multimedia visualization and/or a relevant field of study with a demonstrated track-record of scientific innovation in interactive visualization and a willingness to contribute creative, novel ideas and new approaches to support scientific investigations
- Experience conducting research in interactive 3D graphics in Virtual Reality (VR), Augmented Reality (AR), Mixed Reality (MR). This includes a demonstrated understanding of Human Computer Interaction paradigms, stereographic systems and large-scale displays (e.g. 360-degree 3D; fulldome). Extensive knowledge and experience of cluster-based rendering required
- Experience in handling scientific data sets including a demonstrated understanding of data management and analysis including emerging data curation standards; emerging data fusion methods, networked storage and (big) data processing. These data may include motion data, point cloud, gigapixel, stereographic panoramic, video panoramas, aerial capture (lidar, drone-based), photogrammetric and massive moving image archives
- Familiarity with custom interfaces and other hardware systems, hardware APIs, systems administration and application software (e.g. data acquisition from cameras, accelerometers, physical sensors etc)
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary team and carry out tasks autonomously. Ability to lead software projects through their lifecycle and in concert with projects across the Laboratory and, to supervise staff accordingly
- High levels of oral and written communication and ability to represent the team at national and international conferences or events. Excellent English is mandatory
We offer :
- A unique framework at the forefront of innovation of visualization and immersive experience
- A stimulating work place engaging across disciplines
- A small dynamic team with unique opportunities worldwide
- Projects across the globe including China, India, Taiwan, Australasia and SE Asia.
Start date :
As soon as possible
Term of employment :
1 year (CDD)
Only candidates who applied through EPFL website or our partner Jobup’s website will be considered.