Syngenta Group is one of the world’s leading agriculture innovation companies, with roots going back more than 250 years. Its 48,000 people across more than 100 countries strive to transform agriculture through breakthrough products and technologies that play a vital role in enabling the food chain to feed the world safely, sustainably and with respect for our planet. Swiss headquartered and Chinese-owned, the Group draws strength from its four business units – Syngenta Crop Protection headquartered in Switzerland, Syngenta Seeds headquartered in the United States, ADAMA headquartered in Israel, and Syngenta Group China – that provide industry-leading ways to serve customers everywhere
We are currently seeking a Research Technician for the Seedcare & Crop Enhancement (SCCE) team in Stein. Syngenta is developing chemical & biological solutions that protect plants from insect and fungal attack at the seedling stage. Other key targets are solutions that can support plants to mitigate abiotic stress (e.g. drought) and to secure yield.
As a member of the team, you will carry out various experiments to support research projects in an experienced team within a continuously changing environment. Research on crop plants is conducted in outdoor facilities, greenhouses and controlled climate chambers at our research site in Stein (Canton of Aargau, close to Basel and the borders of Germany and France).
- Plan and carry out experiments with crop plants with high accuracy and with minimal supervision in outdoor protected facility (semi-field), climate chamber and greenhouse for SCCE Research Biology
- Lead and actively support the cultivation, maintenance and care of plants
- Capture, analyze and report experimental data related to Seedcare Crop Protection and abiotic stress trials
- Ensure good safety behavior for yourself and others
- Communicate widely with team members, peers and experiment requesters
- Active collaboration in scientific and operational cross-functional / cross indication activities and projects
- Potentially implement new methods and perform experiments using state of the art chemical application and plant phenotyping systems
- Responsible for maintenance of relevant equipment and instruments
- Ensures that all operations comply with HSE policies
- A Bachelor degree or a completed professional training related to Plant Science or Agronomy
- Practical experience in plant cultivation of minimum 1 year - familiarity with field, glasshouse, climate chamber working environments
- Knowledge in plant biology (a plus would be crop protection, including nematology and/or crop physiology, abiotic stress tolerance)
- Good writing and communication skills in English and German (B2 or above)
- Ability to understand scientific publications in the field of agronomy, crop protection and plant physiology
- Good software skills (MS-Office)
- Accepts and copes well with routine work, including outdoor, that is part of the job profile (pot filling, pot weighing, sowing, watering, maintaining etc.)
- Physical fitness to conduct experiments, e.g. can handle heavy pots with plants
- No strong allergy against pollen (especially against wheat, rice or corn) that would prevent working with flowering crop plants
- Forklift license would be a plus
What we offer:
- Contribute to valuable and impactful work, in a stimulating environment -> #bringingplantpotentialtolife
- Work in interdisciplinary teams
- Flat hierarchy and an open culture
- We offer flexible working hours, a campus with health, food and parking services
- You will profit from a competitive pension fund plan
Interested? We are looking for your application!
Please be aware that the job title may differ from the position title.
Syngenta is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Primary Location: CHE-Stein-Stein AGJob: R&D - Research