Syngenta is a leading science-based agtech company; dedicated to bringing plant potential to life. Each of our 28,000 employees in more than 90 countries work together to solve one of humanity’s most pressing challenges: growing more food with fewer resources. A diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace environment are enablers of our ambition to be the most collaborative and trusted team in agriculture.
Our employees reflect the diversity of our customers, the markets where we operate and the communities which we serve.
We invite you to help us shape the future of agriculture. At Syngenta, we believe every employee has a role to play in safely feeding the world and taking care of our planet.
The Head of Biological Data Exploitation and Predictive Science role is part of our Product Biology team, which is part of the R&D organization responsible for the development of new crop protection (CP) solutions for growers worldwide. In this role you will:
- Build and lead a team of data experts driving data exploitation, predictive science and systems development related to field trials to support successful data driven crop protection product development globally
- Drive data analytics needs for Crop Protection development in the different product lines (Weed Control, Disease Control, Insect Control, Biologicals, Lawn & Garden, Seedcare)
- Design, communicate and implement technical strategies for data management in Product Development
- Collaborate and align with other R&D functions and regional teams, IT, Marketing, as well as key third parties to deliver the CP R&D strategies
- Lead the development of tools for data capture, analysis and interpretation together with R&D IT to enable step change in product knowledge and speed up project decisions
- Create value by championing data and digital platforms that meet the cultural needs and capabilities of a global organization, share best practices and align across regional biological data experts.
- Lead the global data exploitation and predictive science activities in Global Product Biology
- Drive strategic innovation in data exploitation and predictive science for Crop Protection field trials
- Recruit, develop and lead a team of data scientists with expertise in biological data management, modeling and statistics
- Lead the development of new systems for data capture, exploitation and storage of data
- Prepare the organization for step changes in biological data analytics
- Establish digital solutions that support trialing excellence and successful product offers
- Establish KPIs and metrics for the performance of the global field trialing capacity to enable continuous improvement and prioritize investment.
- In-depth knowledge of data exploitation and predictive science, preferably in the context of biological or agricultural Research and Development
- Appreciation of the value in data - experience in creating, managing, analysing or using complex data to make scientific or business decisions
- Good knowledge of agribusiness (crop protection, bio-stimulants, biologicals, new technologies)
- Good understanding of agronomy (farmer practices) and agricultural sciences. (relevant agricultural experience preferred)
- Understanding of the R&D organisations, and key processes involved with development of new active ingredient and products
- Strategic thinking and passion for digital technology
- High performance team management
- Fluent in written and oral English.
- Post-graduate degree in data science relating to biological R&D
- Biological qualification with digital, IT and/or analytics capabilities
- Experienced in different software development concepts and methodologies, e.g. Agile and Devops
- Broad understanding of digital tools and data analytics software
- Proven track-record of delivering successful development projects in country/region/global role
- 5+ years’ experience in people management
- 10+ year work experience overall. Including a technical role or external experience in data management in big corporations
- Previous experience in Agricultural Research and Development will be highly advantageous.
Critical technical, professional and personal capabilities
- Highly collaborative – works effectively with others to connect and support them to succeed
- Strong analytical skills, attention to detail, interest in new technology
- Ability to interpret data to extract added-value, market-oriented messages and commercial platforms
- Ability to deal with ambiguity / complexity / uncertainty / conflict
- Ability to manage virtual and presence teams
- Leadership, team working skills and resilience in a multi-functional and multi-cultural environment, utilizing effective verbal and written communication
- Ability to plan and deliver projects with an emphasis on results orientation and efficient use of time and resources
- Ability to maintain standards and technical integrity, whilst under pressure to meet tight commercial deadlines
- Creativity and innovation.
Critical leadership capabilities
- Focused on customers and is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers
- Builds a culture of innovation – creates an environment that inspires and supports creativity
- Manages for performance – skillfully plans, organizes and monitors performance to create value and achieve excellence in delivery
- Courage to decide, defend and own a technical position
- Accountable to lead self authentically and others either directly or indirectly
- Proactive communication and alignment with stakeholders
- Strategic thinking with the ability to focus to deliver on what matters
- Open-minded thinking – beyond current practices and structures
- A passion and enthusiasm for data science and its applications for agriculture
- Strategic thinking on how data could drive more effective (choose the right product) and efficient (better and faster) product development.
We offer a variety of financial and none-financial benefits including:
- Annual bonuses
- A competitive pension fund plan
- Preferential conditions with insurance companies
- On campus health and fitness services
- Family-friendly initiatives
- Exclusive reduction offers for employees
We look forward for to your application.
Syngenta is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status
Primary Location: CHE-Basel-BaselJob: R&D - Development