Syngenta is a leading science-based agtech company; dedicated to bringing plant potential to life. Each of our 28,000 employees in more than 90 countries work together to solve one of humanity’s most pressing challenges: growing more food with fewer resources. A diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace environment are enablers of our ambition to be the most collaborative and trusted team in agriculture.
Our employees reflect the diversity of our customers, the markets where we operate and the communities which we serve. Through leading innovations, we help farmers around the world meet the challenge of feeding a growing population and taking care of our planet.
Our Crop Protection (CP) Research & Development team is currently seeking a Crop Protection Modelling Scientist. In this role you will:
- Work across R&D functions to bring new, and faster, insights to projects by developing predictive models for the outcomes of scientific experiments
- Allow faster and higher quality business decisions to be made, by replacing wet science with digital and data analysis and predictive models
- Enable concepts to be quickly tested before significant investments are made into new experimental initiatives or collaborations
- Ensure diverse data sources are effectively connected and integrated into analysis and modelling – across Syngenta and from data sources external to Syngenta.
- Deep R&D computer/mathematical-modelling and data-analytics expertise, which can be flexibly deployed to validate data opportunities and support strategic business initiatives across Crop Protection R&D e.g. working with physical chemistry, bio-kinetic and environmental data to model laboratory, glasshouse and field trials.
- Working with large data sets and using mathematical approaches, queries and analysis to find trends and patterns
- Working with software developers to create algorithms, data-connections and customer-facing applications
- Familiar with digital concepts relating to different aspects of machine learning and artificial intelligence
- To create and analyse important reports (possibly using a third-party reporting, data warehousing, or business intelligence system) to help the business make better decisions.
- To merge data from multiple data sources together, as part of data mining, so it can be analysed and reported on.
- Exploring new analytical tools, methodologies or approaches to understand their effectiveness and how to deploy them
- Working in project teams to bring digital and data analytics and modelling skills to the discovery, optimization and development of CP leads or product candidates
- Guide scientists in the creation of data sets to build and develop models
- Work with external collaborators to understand and integrate their complementary capabilities into projects and programs
Critical knowledge and education
- A strong academic foundation in data modelling to postgraduate level, natural science PhD (ecology, env. science, biology or chemistry)
- Knowledge of data-sciences, analytics and modelling tools (e.g. R, Matlab. Python, Mathcad, etc.)
- Basic knowledge of CP technologies including chemistry, biological targets, etc to be able to effectively work with CP scientists
- 5+ years experience in developing models relevant to biological or crop protection outcomes (e.g. ecological modelling, ecotoxicology, environmental fate, epidemiology, disease modelling)
- Experience in analysing and extracting insights and new understanding from data.
- Experience in working independently and to a high level of accuracy
- Experience of collaborating with scientists and data scientists to solve complex problems
- Experience of communicating scientific and data concepts to specialist and non-specialist audiences
Critical technical, professional and personal capabilities
- May be required to quickly assimilate specialized understanding to meet diverse business needs – e.g. population biology, physical chemical properties, environmental data, imaging data, people behaviour
- Adaptable to different business challenges and data types / sources
- Open to new ways of doing things
- Able to learn and utilize a range of different analytical tools and methodologies – not fixed in a particular methodology
- Strong collaborative, networking and relationship building skills
- Written and verbal communications skills.
We offer a unique opportunity to work in the digital science transformation and innovation space and facing the challenges of sustainable food supply. We look forward for to your application.
Syngenta is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status
Primary Location: CHE-Basel-BaselOther Locations: GBR-Berkshire-BracknellJob: R&D - Research