Reports to (role)
Head of Protection Data unit
What we do
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) works worldwide to provide humanitarian assistance to people affected by conflict and armed violence. We take action in response to emergencies and at the same time promote respect for international humanitarian law. We are an independent and neutral organization, and our mandate stems essentially from the Geneva Conventions of 1949. We work closely with National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and with their International Federation in order to ensure a concerted, rational and rapid humanitarian response to the needs of the victims of armed conflict or any other situation of internal violence. We direct and coordinate the international activities conducted in these situations.
The Protection Data Unit has two main objectives: to reinforce the management of the data related to protection activities of the ICRC, and improve the use of information and communication technologies (ICT) with special focus on data protection.
The associate’s main tasks will be to support the Unit’s activities by:1) Support the Evidence Based Protection team with quantitative and qualitative analysis2) Supporting the Unit with the development and management of a resource centre and3) Supporting the conceptualization, implementation, promotion, and management of a data collection tool.Accountabilities & Functional responsibilities
1. Support the Evidence-Based Protection team with qualitative and quantitative analysis (50%)
- Contribute to the reflection, development and implementation of qualitative and quantitative methodologies and analysis tasks to optimize evidence-based understanding of PROT priority topics. Perform ad-hoc researches and data extraction requests
- Support the team by doing data cleaning, data transformation, and creation or development of data visualizations (dashboards).
- Maintain/manage online collaborative community content
- Contribute to the internal communication of the PROT/DATA unit
2. Continued development and maintenance of the Protection Data Resource Centre (Wiki) (25% )
- Act as project lead of the Protection Data Resource Centre.
- Continue to ensure the production, editing, and adaptation of new Wiki pages, to best present institutional data-related resources. This includes both technical oversight (e.g. metadata, search function) and close collaboration with relevant technical advisers.
- Devise and implement procedures for and a plan of action to promote collaboration in production of Wiki pages that ensures quality, accuracy and continued relevance over time.
- Develop and adapt the technical structure of the Wiki as necessary, in particular to ensure ongoing/improved access to or integration of resources outside the unit (e.g. links to other Wikis, search functionality). This includes collaboration with colleagues in other units/divisions with Wikis.
3. Act as focal point of Device Magic (mobile data collection tool) for Protection (20%)
- Provide methodological support to delegations with the design of data collection exercises.
- Provide support to delegations with the use of Device Magic.
- Review and revise material regarding Device Magic as needed.
4. Other duties as required to support the Protection Data Unit (5%)
- Helps with the planning of events.
- Provides support with projects when needed.
- Takes responsibility for their own development and learning.
Certifications / Education required
University degree or diploma equivalent to a master’s degree in social sciences, data analytics, interactive media, ICT, engineering, economics, information sciences or equivalent experience.
Professional Experience required
Professional Experience required:
- Only individuals enrolled in higher education or who have recently completed their studies are eligible to be trainees/associates. For candidates to be eligible, they must have a maximum of one year’s professional experience after graduation (relation to the post) or two years if they have been in previous traineeships.
- Research experience in innovation projects with a high technology component
- Experience with automated collection and storage of data retrieved through web APIs
- Experience using tools such as SQL, Python, R, Tableau, PowerBI, Excel
- Experience with humanitarian organizations or NGO's.
Desired profile and skills
- Strongly motivated by humanitarian work
What we offer
- Rewarding work in a humanitarian and multicultural environment
- Length of assignment: 12 months
- Type of role: Trainee
- Working rate: 100%
- Starting date: 02.12.2019
- Location: Geneva, Switzerland
- Length of assignment: 12months
- Application deadline: 06.10.2019
- Application documents required: diplomas, work certificates, scan color of passport
- Relocation: not provided for traineeships
- Visa/Permit: Legitimacy Card provided
- Spanish or other languages would be assests