In our business and the industries we cover, data is generated continuously from multiple touch points and collected in hundreds of data sources. Increasingly, managing data correctly has resulted in greater competitive advantages and as the Data Analytics organization within GASD (Global Aftermarket Solutions Division), we support business decisions by converting a tremendous volume of data into concrete and valuable insights. The data infrastructure requirements are evolving to drive a culture of data-driven decisions making spanning various teams and objectives globally.
As a Data Engineer, you will join a team of passionate people in a complex data environment, working on the data infrastructure which will respond to these increasing needs for complete, accurate, timely and secure data. You'll support the needs of user teams across Caterpillar GASD (Global Aftermarket Solutions Division) while being an expert on data architecture, quality and operations to deliver and maintain a data mart that help us better understand our business and customers. You'll turn data into a craft and a discipline that returns increasing value at Caterpillar.
By joining the Aftermarket Data Analytics Management team, your contributions will drive the next generation of decision making and action taking in Global Aftermarket Solutions at Caterpillar. You will make a difference by:
- Driving our Data strategy
- Achieving Data integrity, security & accessibility targets
- Transforming our data processes
- Advising users & analysts
- Build infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources
- Create controlled data transformation for reporting, incorporating dealer business rules
- Optimize data analytics, modeling, visualization, transformation and enrichment
- Operationalize analyst workflows, tables and processes
- Engage directly with business partners to participate in design and development of data integration/transformation solutions
- Set up processes and standards for data documentation
- Less than 10% travel
- Previous experience as a data engineer, IT Engineer, IT analyst, software developer or data analyst
Top Candidates Will Also Have:
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Business Analytics, or related fields
- Passion for acquiring, analyzing and transforming data to generate insights
- Understanding of data structures, algorithms, profiling & optimization
- Understanding of SQL, ETL design, and data modeling techniques
- Demonstrated analytical ability, judgment and problem analysis techniques
- Familiarity with cloud computing concepts
- Knowledge of big data tools: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc.
- Knowledge of relational SQL and NoSQL databases, including Postgres and Cassandra
- Knowledge of data blending tools: Alteryx
- Knowledge of data pipeline and workflow management tools: Azkaban, Luigi, Airflow, etc.
- Knowledge of AWS cloud services: EC2, EMR, RDS, Snowflake
- Knowledge of stream-processing systems: Storm, Spark-Streaming, etc.
- Knowledge of API managers: Apigee, Azure, Catana, etc
- Knowledge of version control systems: Git, VSTS
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment that delivers results and has fun
- Strong attention to detail
- Great verbal and written communication skills to collaborate cross functionally
- Interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively in a cross functional team