Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for over thirty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 12 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat plc is a FTSE listed company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Inmarsat’s Maritime business unit is the leader in global mobile satellite communications at sea. Thousands of vessels rely on our unrivalled end-to-end service availability and coverage for operational communications and safety services. We offer the broadest portfolio of mobile voice and data solutions on the market, so we can meet the needs of all types and size of vessel – and every budget.
Primary Role Purpose:
This is an outstanding opportunity to join a dynamic, successful and market-leading organization in a high profile position focused on solving business challenges and improving strategic marketing effectiveness supporting the business growth of the Inmarsat Maritime Business Unit.
With a proven record of effective use of data for business practices, the Candidate will lead Maritime Business Unit data science activities. You will use advanced modelling and statistical methods to gain insight, support data driven informed decisions, deliver recommendations based on business objectives and improve the Unit overall operations and customer acquisition/retention/experience.
- Build and present reliable/robust predictive and prescriptive tactical and strategic insights based on advanced statistical modelling and/or machine learning methodologies for solving key business challenges.
- Formulate proposals for better use of data science (e.g. analysis methodologies, data architectures) and advise about improvement to marketing tactics within the Maritime Business Unit and, where appropriate, lead the execution of such proposals.
- Support the Maritime Business Unit Market Intelligence Team in performing market analyses and modelling of customer behaviour leveraging a combination of internal and external customer data.
- Work with other stakeholders and data scientists throughout the Inmarsat organization (such as within Finance, Operations and Product departments) to identify opportunities for leveraging company and external data to drive business solutions and improve the company practices in different domains.
- Work as an integral part of the Maritime Business Development team, collectively responsible for the delivery of business growth, new business models, market intelligence and strategy formulation.
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Master’s or PHD in a quantitative field of study (e.g. Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science with Data Science as a recognised discipline) and relevant industry experience.
- Proven experience of creating and applying machine learning algorithms and statistics: regression, simulation, scenario analysis, modelling, clustering, decision trees, neural networks, etc. and their advantages/drawbacks across various business/commercial practices using various types of datasets.
- Advanced understanding of databases and proven experience of working with and creating enterprise data models and data architectures.
- Analytics software knowledge and experience in visualizing/presenting data for stakeholders using various data visualisation tools (e.g.Tableau, Alteryx and D3.js).
- Proven experience developing with and using SQL and scripting languages including R and Python.
- Understanding of marketing mix modelling and analysis and general strategy/marketing principles and theory
- Ability to comprehend complex contexts and to communicate ideas in a simple business language to stakeholders from CXOs to junior analysts.
- Presence and charisma to convince any audience of the route to success and with the ability to build strong and powerful relationships.
- An aptitude for strategic development and implementation.
- Demonstrable track record of integrity and commercial acumen.
Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
- MBA and/or equivalent experience in Strategy and/or Marketing.
- Knowledge of satellite Communications.
- Knowledge of the Maritime industry.
- Language Skills.
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation.
- Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
- Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
- Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do